Saturday, January 22, 2011

A College Girl Cooks Ethnically

I admit, I baked/cooked a TON over the holidays.

In fact, I held a holiday party in which I made around 10 things from scratch that would have been excellent for posting on the blog [eggnog poundcake, spinach artichoke dip, cranberry nut muffins, etc] but of course I didn't take any pictures of those. I am very sad at myself as well, so feel free to rage at the computer.

But I do have some things that I've made over the past couple weeks that I'd be happy to share.

My family is German. I grew up eating sauerbraten and spaetzle. There is nothing about meat and noodles that changes when you cross border lines. It is still just as delicious.

Now, I caution you. After this post your mouth is going to be filled with drool, and you're instantly going to want some of this pot roast and noodles. But I have a confession: I actually own a spaetzle maker. This is not your typical kitchen item for an adult, much less a girl who will skip a meal to save the money for Starbucks [I know, my mother shuddered at that statement].

Unfortunately you cannot make spaetzle without this ever important tool, shown below.


Mine is actually from Germany, with the recipe in German, but I of course will give you the English version, don't panic folks! And I apologize for the blurry picture of the meal.


Sauerbraten [German for pot roast!]
london broil roast, anywhere from 1-3.5 lbs
Knorr Sauerbraten mix [yes, I used a mix, sue me now]
water as specified on the Knorr box

I do not cook my roast like the instructions on the box list. I did not want to cook on the stovetop because the spaetzle takes up at least 2 burners, and that would have been a lot to handle at once. I used a piece of corningware, but you can also use a dutch oven. Put the roast in, sprinkle the mix and water on top, and voila, you're done with this part! I had a one pound roast, and I cooked it at 300 degrees for about an hour. Honestly, I don't have a cook time, but the meat will taste better if you have a lower temperature and cook it longer.

Spaetzle [my favorite part!]
13 oz flour
2 eggs
1/2 pint water [1 cup]
1 tbsp oil
pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients together to make a dough. The dough is then pushed into the square on top of the grater. The whole piece rests on top of a large pot of boiling water. Once the square is full, you rub back and forth over the grate, so that little noodles drop into the water. This batch of spaetzle will feed at least 4 people, and probably 5 with regular appetites.

Once the noodles are done [they will all float at the top and look puffy] you drain the pot. Take 2 large skillets and melt a generous heaping of butter in them each. Divide the noodles and fry them up until they are golden brown.

Note: many Germans eat them without the second step of frying, and they are just as good, but I personally like the kind of crunchy/chewy texture of frying them. I also feel that they hold up to the gravy from the meat a little better.

Recommendations for another side: asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini

No comments:

Post a Comment