Monday, November 22, 2010

Fiesta Chicken! Its a party!


Sorry for all the delay over posting again; it has been a very hectic week. I guess that's how we know its finally the holidays. But hey, cooking and baking goes hand in hand with the holidays, and I am very excited to get to start making a lot of delicious things to put on here!

So, as a college student, I am prone to hitting slumps of not wanting to do anything. Sadly, this usually extends to cooking as well. All I want during these times is for someone to bring me food and drop it directly in my lap. This has yet to happen, but it doesn't diminish my hope.

Good thing I have a very hungry boyfriend who makes cute sad faces when he doesn't get food [he's 6'4, and can put away a serious amount of food!]. So I pulled myself out of my lethargy in order to throw a couple things in the Crock Pot and then take a nap. Honestly, that's what I did! That's my favorite thing about this recipe, which I am pretty sure is originally from some cooking posting board, but have absolutely no idea for sure...I doctored it up a little bit too. It's very simple, but filling. I don't often have an opportunity to use black beans [Stephen doesn't like them] but they are extremely good for you: they help lower cholesterol AND are virtually fat-free! Check out http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2 for more health benefits of these great beans.

So if you've hit that same slump as me, don't be concerned, just make the easiest meal ever, take a nap, and feel very productive when people are amazed by the good food you put in front of them. Make sure to tell them that it took a lot of effort. And that they should be on hand for dropping food in your lap should you ever need it :)


Fiesta Chicken [I made this name up, it has no name, but I thought this could be fitting?]

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, mostly drained [but hey, if you want to dice fresh tomatoes, more power to you]
1/3 large onion, chopped into large slices
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp red pepper flakes
Tabasco/hot sauce
Rice

The ingredients listed above are for 2 people. However, it could serve 3 if you put in an extra chicken breast. Any more than 3 people and you will have to add extra of each ingredient. But don't be scared, it really can't go wrong, so you don't have to be exact with measurements.

Place sliced onion in bottom of Crock Pot. Put chicken breasts on top of onion slices [mine weren't even fully thawed!]. Sprinkle spices on top of chicken breasts. Pour tomatoes and black beans over the chicken. Make sure entire chicken breasts are covered, and mix the beans and tomatoes together slightly. Shake in Tabasco or hot sauce, using 1 tsp per chicken breast, unless you like things really hot, in which case go crazy. You can also add extra Tabasco at the very end of cooking, or on the individual plate.

Turn Crock Pot to High for 4.5 hours, or Low for 6 hours, depending on when you want to eat.

Serve over rice.



**The good thing about Crock Pots is that you really can't overcook something. So if you get home later than expected, or forget that you're cooking [unlikely, as the delicious smell of this fills the entire house] then you don't have to be concerned that you ruined dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment