Friday, November 12, 2010

French Toast was actually created in Spain!



We weren't eating the French bread fast enough.
It was tragic.

I didn't want my hard work on that bread to go to waste by having to throw any of it away for going bad. I was wracking my brain for things that I could make with it. Croutons, garlic bread, FRENCH TOAST.

I personally do not really like French toast. I like French toast sticks at Burger King? I know, gourmet, right. Something about the fact that you're pouring syrup on eggs on toast just really freaks me out. And don't even get me started on how I don't use syrup on waffles or pancakes.

But Stephen loves French toast. And because I like to challenge myself [and because he whines if I don't feed him :) ] I decided I would make it this morning, despite never having done so before.

It was a big hit! I even had a bite, and yep, it was French toast alright. I really want to make stuffed French toast, or maybe a flavored one, but most of the recipes I've found for that require the bread to soak overnight. So I'll leave that for another day!



French Toast

This recipe made 3 pieces of thick-sliced French bread. Just multiply the ingredients to feed however many people you need to!

2 eggs, beaten
healthy splash of skim milk [don't worry, you can't get that wrong!]
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
powdered sugar and syrup for topping
fruit for topping, if desired

Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together. [Note: I used pumpkin pie spice because it is a mix of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, and is super delicious. You can just use cinnamon if you'd like, or create your own mixture of spices.]

Place bread in bowl of this mixture. Allow bread to soak for 10-15 seconds on each side. Pay attention at this point, because you want the liquid to soak through the bread, but you don't it to get mushy. So this really depends on how thick you sliced the bread.

Cook in skillet on medium high heat for a couple minutes on each side. You'll know when they're done because they'll be golden brown and the egg will look like it's cooked on each side. I put each piece in a pan in the oven [set to 200 degrees] while I cooked the rest, that way the whole plate stays warm.

Sprinkle with more pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, powdered sugar, and fruit, then top with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment